Wednesday 17 December 2014

Being Yoncé (Part three of 3)

To Read  Previous "Being Yoncé (Part Two of 3)



Every woman needs to relinquish her inner diva

“A diva is a female version of a hustler” which is ‘an aggressively enterprising person; a go-getter’. We’ll just overlook the fact that a “prostitute” is named an example of a ‘hustler’. What Beyoncé means by diva though, is a ‘glamorous woman who has achieved popularity, fame and success’. In other words, a ‘goddess’, which actually translates into ‘diva’ from Latin.


Obviously Beyoncé perfectly embodies a diva. Otherwise she wouldn’t have written a song stating she is the “number one diva in this game”. So when it came to dressing as her, I knew it would be insulting to put in a half-arsed effort; I knew I had to go all out and wanted to have fun with it. From the hair, make-up to the costume and picking out the right accessories. When the night finally came to putting it all together, it was like this magical transformation that happened within me. I was like Cinderella and my Fairy Godmother all in one, telling myself ‘girl, you go have fun at the ball tonight. And keep them glass slippers on, you drunken hoe’ … except I was a more urban, ***Flawless version of that 

Three words for you: "Treat Yo’ Self!"

Donna & Tommy Haverford summarise the joys and importance of treating yourself here

It’s definitely worth asking yourself, ‘when was the last time I went all out, dedicating a decent amount of time and money on myself and spoilt myself rotten doing something I loved and truly felt passionate about?’

Before Halloween, the last time I had my hair professionally done for an outing was when I was in High School, ten years ago. It was also possibly the last time that I spent -THAT- much effort making a fuss over my make up. Nowadays I tend to stick to mascara, bronzer and if I’m feeling fancy, I spruce my look up with eye shadow or a colourful lipstick.
The last time I spent weeks searching for the perfect outfit for the right occasion was probably over six years ago when all my friends and I were turning 21 years old and dressing to impress. Nowadays you’ll be lucky to see me out of my comfy tracksuit pants.

Halloween 2014 will always be known as the day Leyoncé Fierce & I merged into one

My point is you need to treat yourself! Before Halloween I couldn’t remember the last time I went all out on something, thoroughly spending time, money and effort doing what I loved and enjoyed, and it felt so goddamn good doing so!

Unfortunately I think with family, friends, work, routine and life in general, people forget to put themselves and their needs first. Which brings me to my last point:

You Are Amazing!
I Woke Up Like This - The morning after Halloween Party
Don’t forget that! Life is short and you need to reward yourself for being awesome. If there is something you want to do and nothing stopping you, then go do it! If you want to dress up Beyoncé for Halloween, then go do it. Clearly I cannot be the one to judge you, so no judgement here! At the end of the day, you are your own number one. If you’re not to spoil you, who will? People can love you and leave you, but you’ll always have yourself. Just remember that.



And if Beyoncé’s not proud of you, then I am.
x



No comments: